Re: Power consumption and WLAN APs

"ext Andrew Daviel" <advax@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I opened a ticket with Proxim.

Very good, thanks.

> They suggest turning off SSID broadcast and see if that reduces the
> battery use. Sounds like b/s to me, but I may be wrong.

Yes, that has nothing to do with your problem.

> If I try that at home, I have to mark the connection as "hidden"
> otherwise I can't select it to connect to, and I suspect it would
> annoy people at work. I still get beacons every 100ms.

Yeah, hiding SSID just makes it more difficult (=slower) to find the
network while scanning, because you have to explicitly scan for all
saved networks. My strong recommendation is to avoid that feature
altogether, and it doesn't really improve security.

> I can't set the wireless chip in my IBM laptop to monitor mode
> (atheros/madwifi driver)

Madwifi does it a bit differently, here's some documentation:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/MonitorModeInterface

--
Kalle Valo