Re: Anonymous wiki edits: disable NOW (please)

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:23:32AM +0200, Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> Dave Neary wrote:
> > I'd prefer to have useful bug reports which the reporter can
> > then see addressed, rather than useless reports which we have no option
> > but to ignore.
>
> Yet another red herring IMO. You can still ignore those useless ones, it
> is not hard to spot useless one at first sight (no matter who reported
> it).

This is a bit like saying "you can still ignore spam, it is not hard to
spot".  While it's true, it still takes time and energy. When you're
overwhelmed by useless bug reports, it's easier to become demotivated.

Speaking about wikis, I when I notice spelling & grammar errors on a
wiki that allows anonymous contributions, I tend to fix them (and
probably wouldn't, if I was required to do a full e-mail roundtrip
registration, especially given that my mail server does greylisting).
When I decide to make a more substantial contribution, I tend to
register.

I'd leave it to the wiki maintainers to decide whether the gain from
such anonymous drive-by wiki fixings outweighs the pain from having to
clean up spam.

Marius Gedminas
--
ultimate_answer_t deep_thought(void) { sleep(years2secs(7500000)); return 42; }
        -- ConceptJunkie on Slashdot