Re: Anonymous wiki edits: disable NOW (please)

Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Frantisek Dufka wrote:
>> Dave Neary wrote:
>>> I respectfully disagree.
>> BTW, did you read all three links/opinions?
>
> Yes. I understand the arguments - creating an account is a barrier to
> entry, and we might dissuade newcomers from doing minor edits.

Yes, exactly, so I guess you don't respectfully disagree with that after
all.

> The argument of Jonathan that since the wiki is versioon controlled, and
> thus rolling back spam does not cost much, is flawed, because in the
> case of anonymous spam, the spamming is automated, the roll-backs are
> manual, and there are a lot of them to do.

He did dot talk explicitly about spam. Automated and high volume spam is
a problem. Hopefully captcha can solve that. The rest is vandalism or
mistakes done by specific 'real' people and you can undo that. And even
such persistent spammer can register, it is not much harder problem than
gettin over captcha.

> I imagine you'd say the same about creating bug reports in bugzilla?

Exactly.  Some bugs don't get reported because of that. Some people who
would join the bug hunt will never join (and such people would
definitely register later themselves when reporting 2nd or third bug but
this will not happen).

> I don't think that being able to do anonymous edits is a right

That's misunderstanding. I'm not advocating anyone's rights. This is
about more closed community which will be poorer because of that. It
hurts the community more than it hurts those people.

 > the second reason I don't like
 > anonymous edits - which is knowing who wrote what.

>I feel that having people identify themselves is normal, and a
> minimum expectation.

IP address has same identification quality as registered user 'joe123',
joe123@xxxxxxxxxx You won't get more real information from registration.

I feel that much better and more polite and friendly is to let people
register later (after 2nd, 3rd contribution) when they decide it is
worth the hassle.

The only argument left which I do agree with is additional work for
implementing captcha and fixing occasional vandalism if it won't be 100%
bulletproof. But maybe we already wasted more time in this dicussion
that it would take to implement this http://recaptcha.net/plugins/mediawiki/

Frantisek