Re: Anonymous wiki edits: disable NOW (please)

Hi,

ext Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> The only argument left which I do agree with is additional work for
> implementing captcha and fixing occasional vandalism if it won't be 100%
> bulletproof. But maybe we already wasted more time in this dicussion
> that it would take to implement this http://recaptcha.net/plugins/mediawiki/

Probably true.

Proposal: let's go for incremental changes until the satisfactory level.

We had it fully open and we have seen that this is not good enough since
we get spammed and this is just the beginning of a small and young wiki
not much linked.

Next step

Ban anonymous over HTTP, but not HTTPS?

If this is not good enough then next step

Captcha

if this is not enough then registration.

About anonymous contributors, I think a wiki doesn't compare to a
mailing list or a bug report tool. A comma, a number, a vowel or a word
might make a lot of sense and be a useful spontaneous contribution in a
wiki. The same cannot be said in other media.

Myself I have edited anonymously in several wikis just for minor fixes,
and I wouldn't have registered to do so.

I was already convinced by Jaffa, Frantisek and
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Captcha . Then
https://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=Task%3AMaemo_brand&diff=2641&oldid=2502
came as a proof.  :)

--