Re: Anonymous wiki edits: disable NOW (please)

David Greaves wrote:
> What benefit does the community get from doing the work to allow anonymous edits?

Already explained. More closed/paranoic community will get less
contributions and less members.

> In this situation the sum total of anonymous browser contributions is *highly*
> unlikely to contribute enough to offset all the *lost* work members would have
> done whilst fixing spam and installing captcha software.

Any numbers? We can't quantify lost contribution but we can quantify
this after the work is done.

> PS They're not asking for people to subscribe to a commercial list or anything -
> just register at 'yet another website' and confirm they have a legitimate email
> address - surely the best commonly deployed captcha anyway!!

Captcha is done realtime, registration is not. Most people coming with
first minor contribution (bug report, fixing some guide in wiki after
following it) won't bother after waiting for confirmation mail. The good
will (and the idea they had) is already gone. Also people hate
registration in general.

Frantisek