Re: External Keyboard Recommendations

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Henrik Frisk <frisk.h@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been following this thread with some interest since I'm been
> looking around for a while for a keyboard for my n810. If I understand
> it correctly, most of you suggest a USB keyboard rather than a
> Bluetooth. Is battery time the primary reason?
>
> I'm still somewhat confused when it comes to what exactly is needed to
> connect a keyboard to the n810. Do I need a specially soldered cable
> or will a micro type A -> Female type A USB cable be enough (= gender
> change to the USB cable included with the n810)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> /Henrik

I doubt that battery life would be the primary reason. I think it's
more a matter of reliability and cost. The USB ones are also larger
and more finger-friendly (but less portable). I have seen at least one
teensy USB "finger keyboard" that is similar to a qwerty smartphone
keyboard. I don't find that useful, but some might.

You don't need a custom cable if you can find an adapter that will
allow you to plug your keyboard into your tablet. I made my own cable
because it cost me nothing and puts a little less stress on that tiny
jack than one big molded adapter would.

It's a good idea to test to be certain, but in my case the colors on
the inner conductors matched up perfectly between the two completely
different cables I spliced together to make my adapter. "It's not
rocket science." :-)

Mark