Re: External Keyboard Recommendations

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:41:16AM -0600, Mark wrote:
> The reason I asked about USB host mode on the N770 is that I don't see
> any "USB Control" or similar apps for OS2006.  A further search comes
> up with this: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6802
> and this: http://osdir.com/ml/handhelds.maemo.user/2006-04/msg00141.html
> so USB host mode does work with the N770, but may not be as easy as
> with the later models, and may require flashing a different version of
> the OS.

USB host mode works for the N770, without any need to flash nonstandard
OSes or kernels.

All you need is to solder up a non-standard USB power injector.  I've
done that: http://mg.pov.lt/blog/n770-usb-power.html

The original instructions come from Thoughtfix:
http://tabletblog.com/2006/01/usb-power-injector-2.html

Some people have also reported success with using a powered USB hub, but
AFAIU this relies on finding a hub that explicitly violates the USB spec
(by supplying power to the uplink port) or something like that.  Also,
while reading this thread I noticed a mention of walking around in the
woods.  Not a lot of power sockets in the woods.

I'm sure USB Control could be ported to OS2006, but until that happens
you'd have to gain root and issue cryptic shell commands.  The old Maemo
wiki had them described somewhere[1].  The most important thing to remember
is to use maemo-gtk-im-switch to re-enable the vkb *before* you unplug the
USB keyboard.  Another thing to remember is that the 770 doesn't support
keyboard LEDs, so don't test whether everything works by repeatedly
pressing CapsLock and waiting for the little LED to light up.

  [1] http://test.maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_SetupKeyboard
      You can ignore most of it (the Bluetooth bits or how to define a
      custom keyboard layout with xmodmap), but the bits about
      maemo-gk-im-switch are relevant, and the bits about matchbox's
      kbdconfig are useful.

Personally, I've discovered that using the on-screen virtual keyboard
was more convenient (for me) than lugging around extra cables,
keyboards, and assembling everything.

Heck, since then I've discovered that I'd rather use the on-screen vkb
than get off my backside and go pull out an Apple Wireless Bluetooth
keyboard from the desk drawer.

These days I often prefer the on-screen virtual keyboard because I'm too
lazy to slide the N810's hardware keyboard out.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
If you are good, you will be assigned all the work.  If you are real
good, you will get out of it.