Re: Installing evince on an N810

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 02:31:41PM -0400, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> Does anyone know how to install evince on a Nokia N810? It is listed in
> the catalog but when I try to install it, it always says that
> libhildonfm2 is missing.

It just worked for me, when I tried it a while ago.  Perhaps I have some
extra repositories enabled.

libhildonfm2 comes from repository.maemo.org, but apt-cache policy
doesn't show me if that's the extras repository, or the SDK repository.

The monstrously-looking

  $ sudo apt-get install --print-uris -d --reinstall libhildonfm2

command tells me it lives in

  http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.0.1/free/libh/libhildonfm/libhildonfm2_1.9.49_armel.deb

which seems to be the SDK repository.

Yes; if I disable the SDK repo, libhildonfm2 becomes non-installable any
more.

I think packages in the Extras repository should not depend on packages
not available from Extras, to prevent exactly this kinds of problems.
On the other hand this requirement seems to require many packages to be
duplicated between the SDK and the Extras repositories.  I don't know
what's the official Nokia or Maemo community position on this issue.

> I've gone to a site that lists a lot of
> repositories and it says the chinook maemo.org repository has the lib
> (and there is a temporay chinook library - not sure why). I've added
> this repository but I never see libhildonfm2 in the catalog list (even
> after refreshing).

And you won't -- libraries aren't supposed to clutter up the application
list, so they're hidden.  You can see them only if you enable red-pill
mode or use the command-line tools.

> For some reason, when I try to display any pdf using
> the native pdf viewer, it always says the files are corrupted. I've
> installed lots of other software but keep running into dependencies that
> cannot be resolved for some apps. Could some one straighten me out?

In my opinion, all unresolved dependency problems are packaging bugs.

Marius Gedminas
--
"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry