Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Patrick Ohly <Patrick.Ohly@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 13:20 -0600, Mark wrote:
> [EDS integration for GPE]
>> From what I'm learning about the Evolution Data Server, it *could* be
>> a good thing, but only if you don't forget to add significant import &
>> export (and possibly external sync) functionality.
>
> SyncEvolution already does that for EDS. It supports incremental syncs
> (just send modified items), so you can edit one contact on the tablet,
> another contact on the desktop, sync, and not loose one of these
> modifications. Your manual import/export is way more cumbersome than
> that. If it suits you, by all means, continue using it, but I expect
> more from my devices.

No, it doesn't. A sync is a sync is a sync, no matter what you call
it, and always is limited by the inherent limitations of sync.

Here's an example scenario: what happens if you want to sync something
from EDS with an app in Windows on the same dual-boot machine? Not
gonna happen! With import/export, though, all you have to do is export
to a partition that is writable by both OSs, then boot into Windows
and do the import. (Or put it on a USB drive, or email it to yourself,
or.........)

>> The fundamental issue is that it's still up to the app developers to
>> deal with import, export & sync. The EDS doesn't do any of that.
>
> Instead of implementing import/export or even sync for each app, it
> makes a lot more sense to implement it once for a common back end.

True, but you've got a chicken-and-egg problem there. EDS doesn't have
a front-end that's capable of import/export. Sync, yes; import/export,
no. It's also a command line-only product at this point (and
configured by separate files - ugh!), which is a major drawback for
most consumers. If they implement a GUI for SyncEvolution as well as
true import/export, then great!

The problem is that your vision is very narrow: you're thinking only
in terms of Linux, and specifically the Nokia tablets and Evolution.

Mark