Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:38 PM, George Farris <farrisg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 18:09 +0100, Graham Cobb wrote:
>> This has been added to gpe-contacts (by Florian Boor), it is currently in the
>> code in SVN (and hence in my daily builds, for the GPE team to test).  It
>> will be in the new release of GPE for Maemo which I hope to have available
>> for testing around the end of this month.
>>

> Are you going to have an option for it to talk to EDS, I sure hope so.
>

>From what I'm learning about the Evolution Data Server, it *could* be
a good thing, but only if you don't forget to add significant import &
export (and possibly external sync) functionality. The exact
implementation of the behind-the-scenes database is basically
irrelevant, so long as it's flexible and powerful enough to store
everything needed. Sharing a single database within the device can
potentially save a lot of time, effort, and disk space. However, if
it's done without consideration for the ability to share *all* the
data with other devices & OSs, it's not much of an improvement.

The fundamental issue is that it's still up to the app developers to
deal with import, export & sync. The EDS doesn't do any of that.

If gpe-contacts doesn't already use EDS, it seems like it would be a
*major* rewrite to accommodate it, and probably not worth the effort.

Mark