Re: Newbie to maemo lookig for advice

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:51:53AM -0700, lakestevensdental wrote:
>  IMHO, Gizmo has a minor advantage in that you can phone another Gizmo
> account and leave voice mail for free.   Skype charges for that.  Gizmo
> also offers 'connections' to about ten messenger programs like

(I fear we are treading beyond the scope of maemo-users here, but since Gizmo has no decent talk forums (they never got my account working right, and I can't use them) and I promise to try to bring this back around, I will continue.)

I have noticed that, if a person has a Gizmo account, and they have associated a mobile phone with it, you can send them a txt message through the IM interface.  Evidently, you can send txt messages with the phone Gizmo5 client, but I don't really use that one.  If straight-up IM worked through the desktop (incl. tablet) clients, then that would really be something.

I see these apps as very important to the maemo platform.  If WIMAX ever actually takes off, then the Internet Tablet can finally move to being a full-fledged Communication Tablet.

Thanks for the usage description, Dr. Fred.  I need to get my parents a camera for their computer so I can give that a try.  As it is, I have only used the voice aspects of these programs, but I look forward to giving video a try.

cheers,

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com