Re: Newbie to maemo lookig for advice

On Fri, 16 May 2008 06:35:55 -0700Lake Stevens Dental wrote:

>  MPlayer for the tablets works fine, as does Claws mail.  Both> probably appear in Application Manager installable programs.  If an> installable program it doesn't appear there, it typically shows up> with appropriate links in the Maemo.org downloadable programs, or in> the Maemo garage.
It does not appear in mine, but I should update my repos. No matterabout that.
 > FYI, Claws for the tablets does offer non-tabbed html viewing -- it's > html viewer doesn't currently allow zooming, which means the small> print can be hard to read.  But otherwise it's decent. Now that I've> got my gCalendar running, I'm hoping Claws calendar plug-in can work> with it offline.  My wife and daughter are wandering around Europe> with my tablet so they can call me over the internet, so I'll have to> wait for a week or so to see what does or doesn't work in the Claws> calendar plugin.
Thanks for the info.Now that talked about internet call, I must study this issue too.

 >   There's a variety of good media players available -- some may> require mplayer to work. One of the limitations that newbs typically> bump into in video playback is the limits size of video frames that> can be processed.  There are several good desktop programs that> convert large format video (and DVDs) into tablet sized video.  A> full DVD can be crunched into 300M file for tablet viewing.  Desktop> processing speed in required for these operations.
Mmm... my idea is not running movies but some home-made video. Youknow, party ones, etc...

>   As for removing default apps, many can be removed thru application > manager.  At this point, some can't be removed, their part of the > 'system'.
That was my point... I don't know which is the "base system". I canplay around and find it myelf, for sure.

> It's possible to store some programs and data (like Claws > email folders) somewhere outside of your internal memory.  Wait a second, maybe I have lost some info...
I'm booting from my MMC card, but, if I install something now, where isit going to be placed? in internal card?¿?¿? how?

> If you've> got a Class 6 or faster SDHC 8G or 16G card in your internal memory> (on the n800), and a companion card in your external memory, you> should have plenty of room and speed for all sorts of programs and> data.  The n810s micro cards are also fine, but get a bit expensive> in large memory formats, although that is changing.
Yep, but for now I have a 2GB card, enough for playing around and putthere many mnay programs... not much data but programs.
 > One app that I find I can't live without is the application launcher > that lives in the Maemo garage.  It allows you to have small icons on > your desktop home for quick launching programs.  It could use an> update to add transparency and touch up a few things, but generally> works fine. IMHO, something like it ought to be one of the default> apps.  It's like the speed launch bar one has one most desktop OSs.  I must take a look at maemo garage! did not know its existence!!!

Really, many thanks for your explanations!