Re: Newbie to maemo lookig for advice

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/kde-on-nokia-n800-tablet.html

> Anyway, how are you trying to install it? If you do it via the
> Application Manager there's an option to check the size of the
> package you're going to install (check Application details >
> Installing in order to take into account also the depending
> libraries).
Reading the above link, using a tarball.

Ok, maybe the problem is that it lacks some needed library or that there isn't enough space for installing the whole application (including needed libraries). I have two suggestions:

1. I think it's not a good idea to install apps directly from sources in any Debian system. In the case of the Nokia Tablet I would say that it's a must not to do so.

2. I think it's not necessary to use KDE. I find the Hildon Desktop enough for user applications.

[...]
> If you get only one Linux partition you won't have a FAT partition to
> share files with Windows boxes. If you get only one FAT partition you
> won't be able to boot from MMC.
I don't care about Windows boxes, so I could create only one ext3
partition.

That's a good idea.

Nevertheless, I think that, by default, the Tablet tries to create the virtual memory on the FAT partition, so that if you want to use virtual memory, you'll need to hack the system in order to mount your own swap partition.

Besides you'll need a separate /home partition to mount when you want to connect the Tablet to the PC via USB. Because I suppose it's not a good idea to mount at your PC the whole root file system of the Tablet (unless you mount it with read only permissions).

Cheers,
Sebas.