Re: Is OS2006 still supported?

En/na Quim Gil ha escrit:

> Luca Olivetti wrote:
>> Well, yes, but a company that buys chipsets in the millions has a lot
>> more bargaining force with its suppliers than a lone hacker in a
>> basement, hasn't it?
>
> In theory yes, in practice the game doesn't work like this. Bargaining
> doesn't necessarily help a business ecosystem and a sustainable
> relationship.

Right, let's say that nokia, as a VIP customer of TI, is in a better
position to explain the importance of disclosing specs (so that free
drivers can be produced by the community) than a lone hacker in a
basement (to whom TI doesn't even sell directly its wares).
Obviously only if nokia does get it itself.
I understand they fear disclosing the specs would make copying their
wares easier, but other manufacturers don't seem to have a problem with
that.

> Understanding why to opensource is as important as
> understanding why a company prefers to keep the code closed. Why
> hardware vendors don't provide open source drivers or good documentation
> for free?

Because they usually can[*]  get away with it.

[*]could, I hope things are changing

> What should change in their business to see a benefit from
> opensourcing drivers and documenting hardware?

Well, I think (and I may be wrong) that they'll change only when they
see that their customers go shopping elsewhere, favouring more open
suppliers.
I won't personally buy, e.g., any nvidia stuff, and I'll try to avoid
anything with broadcom stuff inside (but it is just me).

Bye
--
Luca