Re: Move from 2007 to 2008 Questions

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 6:51 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius@xxxxxx> wrote:
>  The following is for informational purposes only.  You should never ever
>  download debs directly -- either install them with the application
>  installer, or use sudo apt-get install from a terminal.  Installing debs
>  directly is the "use a bigger hammer" approach to replacing a light
>  bulb -- if you screw up, it's your own fault.
>

>  There are two repository layouts.  Suppose you have
>
>   deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras bora free non-free
>
>  in the .install file.  Start browsing at
>
>   http://repository.maemo.org/extras/dists/bora/free/ (or non-free)
>
>  Note the extra 'dists/' URL component.  Then look inside binary-armel.
>  You'll find a 'Packages' file that mentions all installable packages and
>  their locations.  Sometimes the packages live there, and sometimes
>  they live in a pool.  The package URLs are relative to the initial URL,
>  so in this particular instance, when Packages says
>
>   Filename: pool/bora/free/p/pybluez/python2.5-bluez_0.9.1-1osso2_i386.deb
>
>  you'd have to go to
>
>   http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/bora/free/p/pybluez/python2.5-bluez_0.9.1-1osso2_i386.deb
>
>  to get the deb.
>
>  The other repository format is simpler:
>
>   deb http://aeracode.org/maemo/2006 ./
>
>  Just go to http://aeracode.org/maemo/2006 and you'll find the Packages
>  file (and most likely the debs) there.  If it had said
>
>   deb http://aeracode.org/maemo/2006 subdir/
>
>  you'd have to look in http://aeracode.org/maemo/2006/subdir.
>
>  Marius Gedminas
>  --

This is great information for future reference, specific to Maemo.
However, I was thinking there was a generic linux command, and finally
realized that it was probably an apt-get option and decided to RTFM.
The command I was looking for was

apt-get --download-only install foo
or
apt-get -d install foo

unfortunately, this gives me an odd dependency error (hildon-libs0)
and refuses to do the download. Doing it your way gets me the .deb I
want, but that dependency is still in the way.

>  Microsoft is not the answer.
>  Microsoft is the question.
>  "No" is the answer.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
I've seen a different version of this, but I really like yours. :-)