Re: Move from 2007 to 2008 Questions

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Dr. Nicholas Shaw <Doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All,
>
> My apologies as I have not kept up with all the discussions on the forum in
> a while.  Part of it was due to a severe motorcycle accident.  What I have
> been doing is going into maemo.org and monitoring the applications that are
> there to see if the applications I use regularly are available for 2008.
> So, before I take the plunge and upgrade, I thought I'd put a list out and
> try to identify if the existing applications are compatible with 2008, if
> they're just not listed in the catalog, or if they are just not compatible
> and I have to find something else or stay with 2007.  Here's the list (it's
> short):
>

> ·         GPE Calendar, GPE Todo, GPE Contacts (most important as I use
> these every day)

GPE apps work, except for the file manager, which crashes.

> ·         X11VNC (used for displaying my N800 onto my desktop)
>
> ·         Xterm (critical as I have my backup scripts that are run from
> here)

OSSO Xterm works

> ·         Gnumeric (I have a lot of workarounds in gnumeric so this is also
> very important)

Gnumeric works

> ·         Simple launcher
>
> ·         Gainroot
>
> ·         Maemo Krypt (least important)
>

> And, lastly, for the applications that require no changes, e.g. no new
> binaries, will they show up after I upgrade or do I have to re-install them?

You'll have to reinstall them. When upgrading within a major release
(e.g. from 2.2007.50-2 to 2.2007.51-3) you can use the backup function
to backup and then reinstall everything. However, when upgrading from
one major release to another (e.g. OS2007 to OS2008), you'll probably
have to reinstall everything manually, and not every app has been
migrated to OS2008. The application manager won't allow you to install
2007 apps on a 2008 OS.

Mark