Re: Support for external screen

I have bought a StarTech.com USB 2.0 to VGA Display Adapter (model USB2VGA2),
connected it to my N810 (using a powered hub, I haven't tried without), built
the sisusbvga.ko driver and loaded it and it works!  I can display pictures
on a VGA screen using the "sisbit" test program!  But displaying pictures
doesn't help much: my real goal is to be able to display presentations.

My immediate next task is to work out how to tell the system how to load the
sisusbvga driver automatically when I connect the device (I presume that is a
simple piece of udev conf file magic).  Once I have done that I can create a
package if anyone else is interested.

The more difficult task is going to be to build an Xserver which can use the
sisusb VGA device.  I can't add a driver to the built-in Xserver on the N810
because it isn't modular.  My current thoughts were to try to adapt the
sisusb driver from X.org to the KDrive Tiny X server and port that to Maemo.
Any advice or insight into whether that is a good idea would be welcome.  The
other approach, of course, would be to port the whole of X.org but that
seemed like a huge task.

I haven't decided what to do about input devices: one option is to make a USB
keyboard and USB mouse connected to the same hub work and make it completely
independent of the Internet Tablet input.  But a better option might be
something like x2x.  Or maybe I can just make the presentation display work
with no input from the target Xserver.

Any ideas, suggestions, or offers of help (particularly from anyone familiar
with X.org) would be very welcome.

Graham