From: maemo-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:maemo-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Tony Green
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 03:59
To: maemo-users@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Move from 2007 to 2008 Questions

wrote:

> > And, lastly, for the applications that require no changes, e.g. no new
> > binaries, will they show up after I upgrade or do I have to re-install
> > them?
>
> You'll have to reinstall them. When upgrading within a major release
> (e.g. from 2.2007.50-2 to 2.2007.51-3) you can use the backup function
> to backup and then reinstall everything. However, when upgrading from
> one major release to another (e.g. OS2007 to OS2008), you'll probably
> have to reinstall everything manually, and not every app has been
> migrated to OS2008. The application manager won't allow you to install
> 2007 apps on a 2008 OS.

The main problem with apps that haven't been "released" for OS2008 is the
install file you get when you click on the icon on the Maemo site. That
checks the OS version and chokes if it's wrong. You'll find a lot of apps
can
be installed by going straight to the .deb file instead.

It took me a while to get round to putting MySQL and Apache on the
repository
because I'd just installed from my own builds and hadn't noticed that I
needed a new install file.

--
Tony Green
Ipswich, Suffolk, England

** This message is digitally signed. If your email client is unable to read
digital signatures, you may see an attachment that you cannot open. See
http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/documentation/faqs.html for more information.
You can validate my PGP key from my website: http://www.beermad.org.uk/
* No Micro$oft products were used in the generation of this communication