Re: Abiword on N8x0 (was: Bluetooth Keyboard?)

Hi,

ext Mark wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Peter Flynn <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ryan Pavlik wrote:
>>  > Mark wrote:
>>  >> If I could get a decent keyboard and OpenOffice.org working with my
>>  >> N800, I'd be in 7th heaven. (I've heard Abiword is being ported, but
>>  >> I've tried it on my desktop and it's just not a workable alternative
>>  >> for me.)

First I thought that this was impossible, but when I tested on Desktop
machine just starting OO Writer 2.0, it took:
- Dirty shared memory: 128 kB
- Dirty private memory: 19568 kB
- Clean private memory: 33724 kB

i.e. "just" only a bit over 50MB RAM just to open an empty doc.
(as a reference, the apps on N8x0 need normally 1/10 of this).

After bootup there's something like 80MB available on device, depending
on what Home applets you have enabled.  I'm pretty sure you'd need swap
to view any real documents with OO and the already slow OO would
real crawl if it's swapping...  OO layout might not leave much space
to view the actual document either.

If Abiword is not an option, I would suggest PDF export from OO
and just reading the PDFs on the device.

	- Eero