N810 gps troubles

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 08:51:38PM +0200, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:45:00AM -0700, Andrew Daviel wrote:
> > >   - I'm curious. What time-to-first-fix are people experiencing ?
> >
> >  3-4 minutes.
> >
> >  My GlobalSat BT-308 (SiRF StarII) gets the fix in 1-2 minutes in the
> >  same conditions, which is (a) better, (b) still disappointing.
> >
> >  Both are pretty much useless when walking around on foot in the city.
>
> Hmm, quite strange, I don't have any issue when walking by foot,
> either in Paris or Bruxelles.

I was walking in Vilnius and Amsterdam, that may have affected things
somewhat ;)  The GPS worked pretty fine at CERN in Geneva, until the
battery ran out.

Walking close to tall buildings doesn't help the GPS any.  When you're
driving you're farther away from the buildings and the GPS sees a bigger
slice of the sky.

Marius Gedminas
--
Professionalism has no place in art, and hacking is art.  Software Engineering
might be science; but that's not what I do.  I'm a hacker, not an engineer.