N810 gps troubles

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:45:00AM -0700, Andrew Daviel wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Frederic Crozat wrote:
>
> > Once you get the almanac downloaded, fix time can be shorter (5
> > minutes to 10 minutes in bad conditions). And if you got a fix in the
>
> Any idea where the almanac is stored ? In the GPS chip itself ? Does it
> survive power-down or dead battery ? I gather it's a Texas device
> (GPS5300) with not a lot of info on the Web (contact TI if you're a
> cellphone maker wanting millions of the things, hobbyists need not
> apply). The 2-page teaser suggests that it communicates over a serial
> bus, maybe native NMEA0183.
>   - I'm curious. What time-to-first-fix are people experiencing ?

3-4 minutes.

My GlobalSat BT-308 (SiRF StarII) gets the fix in 1-2 minutes in the
same conditions, which is (a) better, (b) still disappointing.

Both are pretty much useless when walking around on foot in the city.

Marius Gedminas
--
9. Okay, then, what do you think about "syntactic noise" in config files?

	-- http://open.nit.ca/wiki/index.php?page=RetchMail