[ANN] tablet-encode v2.18 release

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

>  This is excellent, Andrew, thank you.
>  I used an earlier version to put LoTR on my N800 to watch during a stay
>  in hospital :-)

Glad it proved useful, but hope you're feeling better now.

>  One query: is it optimised for the default size of window (shown when
>  you open Media Player, with the sidebar, buttons, banner, and toolbar on
>  display; and therefore with a reducd viewing area), or for full-screen?
>  I used the "smallest" to save as much space as possible (and presumably
>  make it play more smoothly) but there seemed to be a noticeable
>  difference (more pixelation) at full-screen play compared with default.

The aspect ratio of the window whether full-screen or not is the same;
however "smallest" is a *really* low quality encoding to be the
smallest possible to watch for short clips. I tend to use a preset of:

    * "best" if I've never seen the thing before
    * "good" for everything else
    * "average" (the default) for very short clips and tests

"smallest" is the lowest quality which I find even bearable for
something I'm not watching properly (if you see what I mean).

Hope that helps,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew at bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org/