switching windows

   > Thanks for the tip. Can I ask for a little more help?

   The window property is in X window under name WM_CLASS, but it's
   identified in the .desktop file with a slightly different field
   name, the desktop entry should look something like this:
   ----------------
   [Desktop Entry]
   Encoding=UTF-8
   Version=1.0
   Type=Application
   Name=mcen_ap_name
   Exec=/usr/bin/modest
   StartupWMClass=modest

   (these field names are in the freedeskop.org .desktop file specification)

   The WM_CLASS value should also probably given in lower case, when I
   tested Emacs on my desktop machine, xprop reported it first in
   lower case:
	   WM_CLASS(STRING) = "emacs", "Emacs"

OK. I still need a little more help. For now, I'm just trying to create an
entry for a local emacs. xprop for a local emacs returns:

~ $ xprop
_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO(_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO) = 0x6c, 0x0, 0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
XdndAware(ATOM) = BITMAP
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) =
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS(ATOM) = _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE, _NET_WM_ACTION_FULLSCREEN
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 1
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS, WM_SAVE_YOURSELF
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0x140004d
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "en_US"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "emacs", "Emacs"
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
                Client accepts input or input focus: True
                Initial state is Normal State.
                bitmap id # to use for icon: 0x1400057
                bitmap id # of mask for icon: 0x1400059
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified size: 720 by 420
                program specified minimum size: 38 by 26
                program specified resize increment: 6 by 13
                window gravity: NorthWest
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "Nokia-N810-50-2"
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "emacs at Nokia-N810-50-2"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "emacs at Nokia-N810-50-2"
~ $

I created:

~ $ cat /usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator/emacs.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=frob
Exec=/usr/bin/emacs
StartupWMClass=emacs
~ $

Now there is an entry in the Applications|Extras menu. I can click on that and
it runs a new emacs process. But if I minimize the window, it does not appear
in the Task Navigator menu.

I don't want an entry in the Applications|Extras menu. And I do want an entry
in the Task Navigator menu. How do I accomplish that?

Note that when I eliminated the Exec entry it still appeared in the
Applications|Extra menu but clicking on it had no effect.

   > Then I did:
   >
   > $ rm -rf /home/user/.osso
   >
   > Then I rebooted.

   Why?  I don't think either of these should be required,
   once you install the .desktop file, AFAIK it should show
   up in the applications menu.

I don't know what you mean by "install the .desktop file" but when I created
/usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator/emacs.desktop it didn't appear in the
Applications|Extras menu until I rebooted (I didn't have to remove
/home/user/.osso).

    Jeff (http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~qobi)