switching windows

Hi,

ext Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:
>    > I installed openssh on an N810. I logged into a remote Linux machine,
>    > tunneling X, and ran emacs. The window came up on my N810 and I was able to
>    > use the remote emacs (the very little that I tried). But I then clicked on the
>    > "V" (i.e. the underlined down caret icon next to the X icon at the top of the
>    >  -
>    > window, which I presume is minimize). And then I was not able to reexpose and
>    > reselect the window. While native app windows have icons that appear on the
>    > left side of the root window, this did not. And when I click on the icon at
>    > the llower left of the screen it popped up a menu of two windows but did not
>    > include the remove X window.
>    >
>    > Is there are way to reexpose/reselect/refocus a remove X window with the
>    > default Maemo window manager?
>    >
>    >     Jeff (http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~qobi)
>
>    You need to have a .desktop file installed which specifies the WM_CLASS
>    X property of that window (and preferably also an icon to use for it).
>
>    You can see the properties Emacs uses with the "xprop" utility from
>    the maemo x-debug-tools package:
> 	   http://maemo.org/development/tools/doc/x-debug-tools
>
> Thanks for the tip. Can I ask for a little more help?
>
> I created /usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator/emacs.desktop:
>
> /usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator $ ls -l emacs.desktop
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           55 Feb  5 21:32 emacs.desktop
> /usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator $ cat emacs.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Emacs
> WM_CLASS=Emacs
> Type=default

The window property is in X window under name WM_CLASS, but it's
identified in the .desktop file with a slightly different field
name, the desktop entry should look something like this:
----------------
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=mcen_ap_name
Exec=/usr/bin/modest
StartupWMClass=modest

(these field names are in the freedeskop.org .desktop file specification)

The WM_CLASS value should also probably given in lower case, when I
tested Emacs on my desktop machine, xprop reported it first in
lower case:
	WM_CLASS(STRING) = "emacs", "Emacs"

> Then I did:
>
> $ rm -rf /home/user/.osso
>
> Then I rebooted.

Why?  I don't think either of these should be required,
once you install the .desktop file, AFAIK it should show
up in the applications menu.

	- Eero