Canola2 beta2 is out!

On Feb 2, 2008 8:52 AM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008 5:18 AM, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 2008 9:14 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Canola2 beta2 is out, fixing lots of issues reported by users and even
> > > adding new features.
> >
> > Thanks for the update. It is definitely more responsive. Start up is a
> > little slow but at least it keeps you informed.
>
> Actually it starts up faster than the previous, but now you have a
> visual clue when the UI is loading so you get the impression "If it's
> up, why don't it let me do my things already". Our major problems
> right now are DBus activation of Canola-Daemon (that will start yet
> another process) and then having it to check for DB consistency.   To
> improve the situation here, we could do like Canola1 and not kill
> Canola-Daemon, it would start faster, but then we'd waste your
> precious RAM while we're not running.  NB: atabake and canolad will
> shutdown themselves after a while when they notice no users are
> connected.

Leaving persistent daemons around is definitely *not* the way to go.
RAM is not in huge supply and it might interfere with all the
power-saving on the tablets.
My comment was to indicate that the messages keeping you informed of
the startup delay progress was a good thing. The startup time is
acceptable. We all want things to start up instantaneously ... but
reality often gets in the way.

/Mike