Canola2 beta2 is out!

On Feb 2, 2008 5:18 AM, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 9:14 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Canola2 beta2 is out, fixing lots of issues reported by users and even
> > adding new features.
>
> Thanks for the update. It is definitely more responsive. Start up is a
> little slow but at least it keeps you informed.

Actually it starts up faster than the previous, but now you have a
visual clue when the UI is loading so you get the impression "If it's
up, why don't it let me do my things already". Our major problems
right now are DBus activation of Canola-Daemon (that will start yet
another process) and then having it to check for DB consistency.   To
improve the situation here, we could do like Canola1 and not kill
Canola-Daemon, it would start faster, but then we'd waste your
precious RAM while we're not running.  NB: atabake and canolad will
shutdown themselves after a while when they notice no users are
connected.

> > Hope installation will be smoother this time!
>
> Uninstalling the old Canola2beta1, updating my repos and installing
> the beta2 worked fine.
>
> My impressions are quite positive. I haven't been able to exercise it
> with any streaming media but seems to play local media smoothly. There
> is some frame dropping in video when you change the sound level with
> the hardware keys, but it keeps audio sync so it is a minor thing.

This is a thanks to MPlayer and OSSO-Media-Player, the backends we use :-)

> One somewhat important issue is that when playing an album, both the
> buttons for next track and previous track actually make it go to next
> track. Seems like a small "oops" slipped in.

:~( damn, back is acting like next. bugger...

> Overall, keep up the great work. Even if it isn't open source, it is
> nice that you are working with the community and are very responsive
> to user feedback. Looking forward to all those Canola plugins. Also
> looking forward to a Carman for OS2008.

Thank you. About plugins, Youtube is baking, almost ready to be
released and as open source, so others can extend Canola in many ways.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com
   MSN: barbieri at gmail.com