installing skype on N810

"ext Gary" <gary at eyetraxx.net> writes:

> Erik Hovland wrote:
>> That is the cause. Flash the updated version of the OS and skype will
>> install without issue.
>>

> Since maemo is loosely based on Debian, what are the chances we'll ever
> see an incremental upgrade path akin to an 'apt-get upgrade' instead of
> being required to flash the device every time a minor release comes out?

The chances are quite high.  It's the obvious thing to do.  I can't
make any promises about just when it will happen, but if it doesn't
happen this year, I would blame myself personally.

> I can maybe understand going from 2007 to 2008 but a dot release
> shouldn't have to be such a hassle to move to, should it? It is tedious
> to have to reinstall all my other applications in the event that I might
> want to install something like Skype that requires the latest libraries.
> And if it's the new app's fault, why can't the libraries be upgraded
> instead as with any other standard Linux distro?

There are at least two points here, and maemo can improve with regard
to both:

- the libraries could be more relaxed (but still correct) in
  specifying what dependencies applications should use that link to
  them,

- and we could make newer versions of libraries available to everyone
  so that applications can drag them in on demand.

Newer versions of dpkg-shlibdeps will compute more relaxed shlibs
dependencies so that a newer version of a library will only be
required when the new features in it are actually used[1].

But even when packages use the most-relaxed-but-still-correct
dependencies, we should have a better way to roll out API additions
and let applications use them.

Right now, when an application needs a newer system library than what
you have on your device, you need to upgrade your whole operating
system by re-flashing.

What is going to happen next is that you still need to upgrade your
whole operating system even if you only want a single newer library,
but you can do it by installing a bunch of packages from a repository.
It will very likely be so that you still need to initiate this upgrade
explicitly, but the Application Manager will hopefully tell you very
clearly that you need to do it in order to install the application
that needs the newer library.

The usual way is that apt-get would just upgrade the library along
with the application, without making any big fuss about it.  I (at
least) am not very comfortable with this right now, since it would
mean that you get operating system configurations on your device that
Nokia has never tested.

Yeah, I need to sit down and precisely specify the upgrade computation
performed by the Application Manager.  Right now, it's not nearly as
smart as apt-get or aptitude, but I don't want to just use their
algorithms either since they are prone to killing the system by
accidentally removing important packages.  (I don't really blame that
on apt-get or aptitude, I'd say it's more a problem of maemo not
telling apt what is important.)

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/ImprovedDpkgShlibdeps