installing skype on N810

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:39:24AM -0800, Gary wrote:
> Erik Hovland wrote:
> > That is the cause. Flash the updated version of the OS and skype will
> > install without issue.
> >

> Since maemo is loosely based on Debian, what are the chances we'll ever
> see an incremental upgrade path akin to an 'apt-get upgrade' instead of
> being required to flash the device every time a minor release comes out?

Taking the 'read pill' should at least provide the infrastructure for
doing an OS upgrade. But the maemo folk have not made it possible yet.
This particular issue really highlights that this possibility would be
useful.

> I can maybe understand going from 2007 to 2008 but a dot release
> shouldn't have to be such a hassle to move to, should it? It is tedious
> to have to reinstall all my other applications in the event that I might
> want to install something like Skype that requires the latest libraries.
> And if it's the new app's fault, why can't the libraries be upgraded
> instead as with any other standard Linux distro?

Preaching to the choir. My one addition to this, is there a bug in
bugzilla for this? Perhaps we could vote on it then and get some
momentum behind it. I will check later.

Erik Hovland
mail: erik at hovland.org
web: http://hovland.org/