OS2008 Damn ugly!!!

inode0 wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007 10:21 AM,  <Karoliina.T.Salminen at nokia.com> wrote:
>
>>  One of the major changes in the desktop has been incorporating composite
>> effects into it, thus to make it more appealing to the eye. And in my opinion, it looks
>> much better than the previous version, but that is just my personal opinion. At least
>> our team (see hildon-desktop ChangeLog for more details from stage.maemo.org
>> svn) did a lots of work to enable eye-candy composite effects that were thought to
>> be technologically not possible on the platform before.
>>

> Karoliina,
>
> When I first flashed the new desktop on my N800 I was really taken by
> surprise. I wasn't prepared for such a dramatic change but it only
> took a very short time using it for me to quickly grow to like it very
> much.
>
> There are plenty of people out here who appreciate the effort that
> went into producing this desktop and appreciate the bold change even
> if it took them by surprise initially. The improvements in the desktop
> appearance from the original N770 release to the current OS2008
> release are quite impressive.

I don't have a problem with people wanting it. I have a problem with it
being forced on people who don't want it.
I would have been nice if a bit of effort had been put into allowing the
scroll bar to be moved to the left side, so that left handed people
don't have to scroll blind. There's a world of difference between eye
candy and functional improvement.

Incidentally, a couple of years ago while working in computer support, I
had to ask a user to change her desktop colours, to something less
irritating (she had pale green and lilac or similar), so that I could
work on her computer.