OS2008 Damn ugly!!!

DrFredC.com wrote:
> IMHO, I've never had the time to mess around with handwriting input in the various touch screen devices I've had.  The stylus, screen keypad, or attached keypad has always worked fine for me.  Others, such as yourself, apparently find the black handwriting work fine.  OK, no big -- perhaps when I get a window of time, I'll give it a try.

I have notice hand writing appears to work better in OS2008.
> As for looks, my first impression of the 2008 home page was, hmm, it's a bit different -- not many options so far -- oh well.  Like most, I've adapted to it's little quirks and newness.   The color schemes aren't as important to me as improved functionality and I've come to like the option of providing and switching home page backgrounds to my match my mood.
>
> Give things some time, and it's likely that more themes may appear that better suit your tastes.  Your habit of continuing to call something that is new as "ugly" in a largely user supported world (who may generally feel differently) isn't likely to help your cause.
>
>  Some tablet geekoid, finding a few moments to tweek some code for OS08 has lots of choices of things to work on --  "I'll spend some time working on restoring some old themes so some AH can call my work ugly for hardly no reason" ain't likely to be real high on anyone's list of interesting things to do...  The tablets are largely geek user supported devices -- talk nice to folks and you might actually get something close to what you want...  Either that, or stop complaining and fix it  yourself...  then share your work with the rest of us so we can call it ugly...  :)
>
>  BTW, if you really want to experience a new OS that truly sucks, get a copy of Windows Vista.  You'll have plenty of company when it comes to openly lamblasting MS's newest perversion of an OS.  It's basically the world's largest computer virus -- your next PC comes hopelessly infected right out of the box...  How MS get paid for selling that kind of crap is beyond me...   It's the best thing that's ever happened to Linux and the Mac.

Windows, over the last few versions has had a trend to more "eye candy"
at the expense of function. The old style, as in W98 and W2000 was the
most functional. On XP systems, the first thing I do is switch to the
"classic" desktop. On Linux, I immediately switch from the default SUSE
desktop, back to the standard KDE desktop. While it's a nice to have an
attractive desktop, many, such as Vista, go to far, so that function
takes a back seat to appearance. Then there are the technical issues,
which make Windows such a disaster.

I don't have a problem if someone wants eye candy. I have a problem when
it's forced on people who don't want it. Also, a desktop that's good for
beginners will often get in the way of more experienced users. This is a
huge problem with Windows. I get frustrated with it, because it gets in
the way of what I want to do. So provide eye candy if you want, but
please make it optional!