Keyboard for N800

Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> Except for the "Visible" checkbox (which is _not_ necessary - that's if
> you want the N800 to show up as a device on other peoples'
> Bluetooth-capable devices), what you described is exactly what I have,
> except I don't need to do that every time.  I'd remove the device from
> the list on the N800, remove the battery from the keyboard (so it
> forgets its pairings), then put the battery back in.  Now, push and hold
> the little white button on the keyboard until the light blinks.  You
> should be able to "add" the device in the bluetooth control panel
> devices screen - accept the PIN the Nokia gives you (that is, click OK
> on that screen after making sure "trusted" is checked), type the PIN on
> the keyboard while it is waiting and press enter on the keyboard.  It
> should fiddle about for a few seconds, then your bluetooth icon should
> turn blue and you should be good to go.

That's pretty much what I did when I got it, to set it up first time.

> From then on, just don't turn off Bluetooth on the N800

Ah. But that is a serious pull on battery life.

> simply press any key on the keyboard to
> re-connect it.  (Don't press the little reset white switch thing!)

Ah again. I assumed you needed to press the little white button to start
the keyboard.

OK, device deleted from N800, cold battery restart on keyboard,
re-paired OK. So far so good.

Fold up keyboard, wait, and the BT icon goes white, and a tap on a text
field now invokes the on-screen keyboard. So far so better.

Unfold the keyboard, hit Enter, and it's back in action. Excellent!

Fold up keyboard, wait for depairing, turn BT off.

Turn BT back on using the Switch On BT applet, which I put in the
Utilities menu. Unfold the keyboard, hit Enter...and Yay! It connects.

Very many thanks!

> It's really that simple - it sounds like perhaps the keyboard never
> initially got paired right or something.

I was pressing the white button each time. If I'd bothered to RTFM
properly I'd have spotted that it's sliding in the keyboard sides that
turns it on, not clicking the button.

>> I seem to remember seeing that, but assumed it wasn't meaningful, as I
>> don't have xmodmap on my N800.
>>
> Presumably that is available online, maemo.org/downloads or similar, or
> can be cross-compiled without modification in scratchbox.

I haven't got a toolchain set up to compile stuff yet: I'm hoping to
avoid that path.

OK, next up...Emacs :-)

///Peter