further beating on OS2008 beta

On Monday 03 December 2007 01:27:22 am Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,

> >> Because the platform style is multiple windows. And tabs wasted
> >> quite a lot of *terminal window* space.
> >
> > But I find a relatively common use case for terminal involves
> > switching terminals when in fullscreen mode - more so than
> > switching apps. And in full screen mode (maximising terminal
> > space), tabs really help this.
>
> Press Home key and thumb the terminal you want from the window
> list.  (it would be nice if the terminal would e.g. show the
> current directory name in the window title though)

Not very practical actually.  If the screen updates (which if say I'm
compiling remotely it's constantly doing) then as soon as the home
widget pops up it closes and you can't use it.  (in full screen mode)
plus to do this also requires that you

1.  close the keyboard
2.  put away the stylus
3.  change hand position and minimize the screen
4.  use home key open the list
5.  change windows
6.  re-maximize

The thumb keyboard in xterm is a problem because it takes focus away
from the term window, when it does it makes it conceptually, if
nothing else, harder to use.,  so for me I stick with the pop-up
keyboard.  Honestly for me the keys (home/menu/) and the D-Pad aren't
used much at all.

Perhaps allowing people to turn the feature on and off might be good.
On the other hand I never heard anyone complaining about the tabs, or
the bar on the right.  One size doesn't fit all you know.

James