further beating on OS2008 beta

First - well done for making this a standard component.
Second - I have not tried it no my N800 yet.

Now... Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 01:49 -0800, ext James Sparenberg wrote:
>
>> Why did they move the "button" bar to the bottom.  Down there is
>> steals valuable screen real-estate from you.
>
> It steals screen estate no matter where it is. The bottom-one is (again)
> consistent with the rest of the device, and it is easier to reach with
> fingers (remember the N810 has the keyboard so you hold it a bit
> differently in your hands!)

Have to disagree - it is relatively simple to shrink the text
and recover horizontal space. Vertical space is in much shorter
supply when you need the on-screen keyboard. Adding a toolbar
would leave less space (though removing tabs might help with
vertical space)

> You can also hide the whole toolbar if you want.

That might be good.

>> Why did they remove the useful tabs and replace it with multiple
>> windows?   Given that there is no WM in the traditional sense you
>> can't resize and move between them easily.  Tabs afforded the ability
>> to quickly manage multiple term windows (my record on the IT is 10
>> tabs.) Windows bring this to a grinding halt.
>
> Because the platform style is multiple windows. And tabs wasted
> quite a lot of *terminal window* space.

But I find a relatively common use case for terminal involves
switching terminals when in fullscreen mode - more so than
switching apps. And in full screen mode (maximising terminal
space), tabs really help this.

I appreciate not everyone does this, but I suspect it's a
common pattern

> ...Also if you have 10 tabs,
> you cannot see pretty much anything relevant from the tab titles.
> Sure your case of 10 tabs is a bit special too - maybe you could
> just use "screen" instead?

Screen is not so good if you need to scroll - and with onscreen
keyboard and now the button bar....

> Multiple windows is consistent with the rest of the platform.

Command line access is fundamentally different from the rest
of the UI. Typical use cases may be different enough to justify
such a "non-standard" components.

> I also think it makes sense for the same reason the browser
> does not have tabs:
> Tabs work a lot better in a large desktop where you can drag
> windows around and group some of them together. Since everything
> is fullscreen, tabs would just duplicate the function of the
> window switcher. You probably won't have *that* many apps
> open at once in a tablet anyway compared to a desktop computer
> anyway.

Agreed that tabs CAN be a pain. Yes, Pidgin, I'm looking at you.
Two lines of chat is really not enough. Must investigate command
line options :-)

But well done on the new O/S version. I'm looking forward to
getting the time to upgrade and try.

--
Paul