OS2008 on n800 - Nice Job

>>> AFAIK it was not possible to make thumb detection reliable enough.
>>> The detection was based on "pressure" information, but strong press
>>> with stylus gives as much pressure as light press with thumb (=larger
>>> area) and the touchscreen sensitivity might differ a bit between
>>> devices, different parts of the screen and that changes over time too.
>>
>> I don't use OS2008, but I know I'll miss the stylus-sized menus.
>
> About the menus I really don't think you'll miss the stylus.
>
> With the control panel / panel customization / organise
> you can put 5x6 or 6x6 applications in the menu all
> accessible in three thumb presses requiring zero finger agility,
> with everything seen on the screen, and with 6 applications accessible
> in two thumb presses since the first menu "my selection" is
> automatically opened. For more you just have to thumb press the big
> scroll buttons a few times.

Lets say that I would have 150 program icons (*) in the menu. 6 folders
with 25 icons in them, or 25 folders with 6 icons, or as average case 12
folders with 12 icons.. if you have more than 7 levels visible you can
see only 5 levels and scrollers. Because there is no subfolders in
os2008 we end up with a lot of slow scrolling around. And scrolling
takes time, too much time. Waaay too much time.

The solution is good for finger access, but the solved problem is wrong.
The problem is not finger access, it is fast and easy access. And the
answer is not scrolling. Why are the submenus disabled?? Why isn't the
menu be in two rows instead of one?? Why I can't choose the menu type??

(*) I have 132 program icons on os2007 which I use 40 regularly, 40
irregularly and rest are just there waiting for usage. I have 14 on
Simple Launcher with big icons for fast access. I use subfolders and I
don't need to scroll at all when searching for a program.

And then the ramblings on the process:

For sure the thing x is correct agains the spesification, WONTFIX, but
for an outsider that is always an excuse. We haven't seen the
specification, we even can't change it, but we know what we would like
to see. 'Corrent' doesn't mean that it is right. Menu source atleast is
open (I suppose?) so one can hack it (fast) unlike some closed
components. Maybe this is the bazaar/cathedral problem.. With dealing
with (F)OSS enviroment more agility is wanted & needed. "Release early.
Release often. And listen to your customers".

But otherwise really good work. It is already sweet .. The process is
the hard part.. maybe when os2010 is out :)

--
VRe