maemo.org localization (was Re: non-English blogs on Planet maemo?)

(((we are still waiting for you to decide *clearly* on the Planet thing:
all languages mixed, apartheid English-Other or several planets per
language?)))

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 15:32 +0100, ext Christian Otto Stelter wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Rafael Proen?a wrote:
> > Now that it came up, I recently noticed that there are not many (if any)
> > localized versions of the Maemo community resources. I mean, localized
> > versions of the Website, Planet, Wiki, and so on would be really
> > interesting.

If someone wants to go through this path the first sane thing to do is
to differentiate stable content from all the rest.

Even before that it would be good to differentiate the scope.

What do you want to translate, really? Information for end users? Check
first the nokia.com pages, there is a big load of content relating to
the tablets (and also to the OS) and these pages are multilingual - yet
mostly unknown even between tablet regulars.

If you want to translate developer documentation... This might make
sense for introductory docs and whatever basic you need to get a basic
application up & running. However, I wonder how far you can go in open
source development where English and English documentation is even part
of the code.

What you probably want to translate are the tips & tricks for power
users that are not explained in nokia.com, nor in the official
documentation. Then the wiki is your friend and you have to deal only
with a reduced subset of the whole thing.

We can also discuss about translating or offering localized versions of
maemo.org pages. Would work for intro, but each section is a different
case.