App downloads stats (was Re: chinook)

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 20:09 +0200, ext Krischan Keitsch wrote:
> I thing a voting / rating mechanism is interesting as a way of quality
> management in order to decide which application could "move up" to a central
> repository.

We are talking about different thing here, although all them are
related.

- Debian's popularity-contest is a package that the user accepts in her
system. It registers the apps you install/deinstall and use more
frequently. It sends the data automatically to a central repository
keeping your identity private. All the data gathered generate lots of
statistics: http://popcon.debian.org/

- Manual votes (digital, in fact) can be done via
http://downloads.maemo.org. We are going to see ranks soon, and Nokia is
going to look the apps on the top with more attention.

- About missing features/software, the official process goes through
submission of feature requests via
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/roadmapwishlist/ or bugzilla. The latter
include votes, and we look at them when prioritizing our attention. But
in general it is more or less clear when features are requested by a lot
of people.

- About access to the extras repository, the situation today is that a
developer can request access and we will provide it (or not). Obnce a
developer has it, she can throw all the code there. This has to change
to a community driven filtering and moderation though, and we would like
to see the new system working for Diablo. There has been some previous
discussion in maemo-developers and we are going to push that discussion
again until getting conclusions (unless someone else does it before, of
course).

--
Quim Gil - http://maemo.org