Steve's Ranty Review #1: N800 ogg support

"ext Marius Gedminas" <marius at pov.lt> writes:

> You know what the killer feature is?  Automatic wifi connection.  I
> absolutely hate it when I have to tap the silly little globe, then tap
> the connect menu item, then wait a few boring seconds for my wifi network
> to appear, then press ok.  Only then I can ssh into my n800 and use
> apt-get.
>
> I could keep my tablet online all the time, of course, but then the
> battery wouldn't last till the end of the day.

It should stay online for days, not hours. Something is wrong with
your setup. I would guess that the AP is somehow broken regards to
WLAN Power Save Mode. Can you try with some other AP to see if it
helps? Also make sure that N800 isn't transmitting anything extra, for
example transmitting a packet every second would kill the battery
quite quickly.

Alternatively you could use a wireless sniffer to take a dump of WLAN
level traffic and send it to me. I could take a look and see if
there's something strange.

It's a shame that there are so many broken APs on the market. I see
lots of them when dealing with bug reports :( I guess WLAN Power Save
Mode was really rare earlier, but fortunately nowadays it's getting
more popular and AP manufactures have noticed the problem.

--
Kalle Valo