reinstall applications

I certainly didn't know that - thanks!

Nick.

-----Original Message-----
From: maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org [mailto:maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org]
On Behalf Of Emil
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 7:06 AM
To: maemo-users at maemo.org
Subject: reinstall applications

On 2 October 2007, Gary Baribault <gary at baribault.net> wrote:
> OK then, can I beat up on them? I agree, this is a lousy way of doing
> the updates, I cannot suggest this device to anyone if every time there
> is an update, all applications have to be re-installed!! Why can't the
> update take a proper#full backup to a flash card, dump a list of
> applications, and after the flash, re-install the latest updated
> applications?

I'm not sure how many of you know this trick given it is a debian system
you can save /etc/apt/sources.list and the output of 'dpkg --get-selections'
to a MMC card, do the upgrade and then only install manually xterm
or a ssh server.

Once logged back in as root you restore the sources.list, then do
a 'apt-get update' to load back the repositories, then do
'dpkg --set-selections < file' to restore your application list and
in the end 'apt-get upgrade' to install them.

--
								Regards,
								Emil