4.2007.38-2 available

"ext Gary Baribault" <gary at baribault.net> writes:

> OK then, can I beat up on them?

Sure, keep it coming! :-) It is good to see what people care about,
and a good rant is always appreciated.  It really does help keep my
priorities sane, at least.

> I agree, this is a lousy way of doing the updates, I cannot suggest
> this device to anyone if every time there is an update, all
> applications have to be re-installed!! Why can't the update take a
> proper#full backup to a flash card, dump a list of applications, and
> after the flash, re-install the latest updated applications?

Nothing is impossible, and we actually have enough bright people here
to have all the right ideas, but somehow it always takes loooong to
actually turn them into "code in your hands".

The "backing up and restoring the list of applications" feature was
committed to the Application Manager trunk in February 2007 (with lots
of bug fixes in the following months, of course).

Why are you still complaining about not having it? :-) Because it is
only coming out officially about now with Chinook.

That's not right, if you ask me.  We are slowly warming up to the idea
of public beta releases with the browser and sip things and we should
be doing this for the whole OS.