Bluetooth power consumption, Re: Bluetooth headphones and mp3's

Simon Pickering wrote:

> I thought Bluetooth was significantly lower power than Wifi...?

When radio is really used than wi-fi perhaps uses more power. However,
it looks like the power saving features when connected to AP can really
effectively help to reduce radio usage. Recently I added bluetooth usb
dongle to my Asus WL500gx router and tried to use PAN via bluetooth
instead of wi-fi with N800. My main motivation was to connect BT only
devices to my network but I also hoped that I can save some battery in
the tablet when listening to internet radio or could even disable wi-fi
altogether (and thus be less dependent on specific kernel modules).

So far it looks like when the connection is mostly inactive, bluetooth
uses more battery overall. With wi-fi I can leave the device always
connected and won't lose much charge overnight. When tried this with
bluetooth PAN connection (to same network, bridged in router) I have
lost significantly more of battery. I'll do some more experiments
especially with streaming audio (i.e. using the connection more) but so
far it looks like BT does not help in the 'always on' scenario. Maybe
this is specific to PAN networking and/or can be optimized somehow.

Frantisek