N800 update in red pill mode.

On Sunday 16 September 2007 08:35:47 Huang Shan wrote:
> Sorry for being so late on this subject.
> Stil let me add my experience.
>
> I also updated my N800 in red  pill mode. Here my story
> http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8992
>
> There is (at least one) broken library on the nokia site which
> overwirtes your beloved software on N800. The only cure is reinstall.
>
> It is not a quality delivery by nokia.
> I did not issue a bug report, probably it is not a bug only a nuisance.
> I reported it on meamo-developers mailing list. Either nobody cares or
> the nokia developers do not frequent the devel-mailing list.

I find this interesting only because I've been in red-pill mode since I got
mine and though being up to date, I'm not disabled.

Red Pill is not a different set of debs from blue pill mode.  It's a
visibility change where debs that are either in the system layer or only for
use in the scratchbox environment become visible.  They are available in blue
pill mode as well  (you can confirm this with apt btw) just not available for
selection in the gui.

Remember gui's lie.  it's the nature of the beast.   The under pinning of the
gui is apt and there is no pinning (as defined by the apt api)  going on to
prevent a deb from install  when in "blue pill" mode.  I'd rather find out
what library it is you think is broken.  The possibility of a deb with a
corrupt update to a lib is more likely than red vs blue problems.

Most likely IMHO is that there is a break during the update where either
something gets half installed or a conflict is created by having a 2 versions
of the same lib in 2 places.  Years ago when moving to GLIB2 this was a
common problem with 3rd party binary apps as packagers were including too
much and they included conflicting libs.

What was the last thing you installed?  That is the most likely source of the
problem not red vs blue.

James