NFS client on OS 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 22:46, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> Juha Kallioinen wrote:
> > then just use this:
> >
> > http://maemo.org/community/wiki/settingupnfs/
>
> This procedure worked great, except for one small problem.  After mounting
> the filesystem (as root), should I be able to access it as user?  I find
> that user is not able to cd to the mounted filesystem ("can't cd") nor ls
> it ("Permission denied").  It looks as if I need to mount the filesystem
> with the uid for user (29999), but the uid=29999 option does not work.

This is a big disadvantage with using NFS.  The problem is that NFS (normally)
just preserves UIDs between the two systems.  So, if your UID is 29999 on the
client, you need access to the files as that UID on the server (whether or
not 29999 is a real UID on the server).

Read the section on user ID mapping in the man page for "exports" on your
server.  In my experience, you basically have two feasible options:

1) On the Internet Tablet, add the user to a group which can be set as the
group for the files you want to access.  So, for example, if your normal GID
on the server is 1234, create a group to match it on the tablet
(addgroup --gid 1234 mygroup).  Then add the user account to that group
(adduser user mygroup, and reboot for it to take effect).  Then make sure
that group access is the same as user access for the files you care about
(chmod -R g=u /directory/you/care/about).

2) If you control the server, you can set the all_squash, anonuid and anongid
options to map all accesses from the tablet to your account (see the example
for /home/joe in the man page).

I actually switched to using sshfs for access to my home directory from my
tablet for this reason among others.

Graham