NFS client on OS 2007

I just installed OS 2007 (version 4.2007.26-8) on my N800.  I thought that I
would make another attempt to get an NFS client running on the N800 so that
I can mount my workstation.  However, I am confused as to whether NFS is
already present in the OS.  maemo downloads has a replacement kernel
available, which suggests that I would need to replace the kernel.  The
usual repositories have nothing related to nfs.  However, I have also read
in the archives for this mail list that it is not necessary to install a
kernel or anything else.  I tried a mount command

# mount -t nfs <workstation>:/home/jeffbarish /mnt/mountpoint

but I get a mounting failed message.  Has anyone gotten a NFS client to run
on the N800?

I would settle for smbfs if nfs is not possible.  Any success with that?
--
Jeffrey Barish