N770 Mysteriously Became a Brick

Last night I was using my N770 and it was fine.  I put it back in the
metal case, with the screen protected, and it deactivated as normal.
Today I took it with me, which basically involved leaving it in my car
glove compartment for about 4 hours.  It was squeezed a bit, but not by
anything that would hurt it.  It's a small glove compartment and filled
mostly with CDs in a carrying case, so it was a tight fit, but not a
case of shoving it in.  I don't think this could be an issue, but
thought I should mention this.  It was only in the glove compartment in
the evening, from about 5 pm to 9:30 pm, so it wasn't in there during
the heat of the day.

I took it out of the glove compartment and left it on my desk.  At this
point, it had not been charged for about 24 hours or more.  It was also
still in the hard case, reversed so it wasn't activated in 20 hours or
more.

I took it out of the hard case and turned it around and it didn't
activate.  I pressed and held the power button in and it still didn't
activate.  I plugged it into the charger and it's been in for over 2
hours.  While I didn't expect that to charge it fully, there is still
no response at all, whether it's plugged in or not.

What could have happened?  If the battery ends up drained, does it not
respond until it's actually recharged?  Does leaving it deactivated
draw much battery power?

What do I need to do to make it respond again?

Thanks!

Hal