NFS client on OS 2007

Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>  However, I am confused as to whether NFS is
> already present in the OS.

Not directly in firmware image.

> maemo downloads has a replacement kernel
> available, which suggests that I would need to replace the kernel.

You can but it is not needed. NFS can be used as kernel modules inserted
in default Nokia kernel.

>  The
> usual repositories have nothing related to nfs.  However, I have also read
> in the archives for this mail list that it is not necessary to install a
> kernel or anything else.

Looks like you already asked this before and got some answer
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/developers/20888#20888

> I would settle for smbfs if nfs is not possible.  Any success with that?

Not sure about smbfs but cifs works.

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howtoaccesswindowscifs/

You can get nfs and cifs modules for latest N800 kernel also here
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#pptp
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/4.2007-modules.tar.gz

Frantisek