Newbie asks what is the key to repository access?

On 7/29/07, D. L. Fuller <dlfuller at clientandfuller.com> wrote:
> Thanks again for your explanations and handholding over this problem.
>
> All my Application Catalog entries are okay and the list refreshed.
> Other applications have been installed satisfactorily using the
> Application Manager.
>
> The problem remains the e2fsprogs package and apt-get install.
> Appropriate data seems to be detected during the installation from
> the contents of http://repository.maemo.org/dists/gregale/free/binary-
> armel/Packages.  The dependencies are determined, additional packages
> are listed to be installed, and a couple of (y/n) questions displayed.
>
> But the next step is a bunch of "Temporary failure resolving
> 'repository.maemo.org'" for each of the six new packages.
>
> This same pattern occurs with either mistral or gregale as the
> distributions listed in the repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> One question that comes up is it okay to have both mistral and
> gregale repository entries active?

That is probably not a good idea. Also, it appears the mistral
repository is broken, at least for the e2fsprogs packages. I can't
even pull them manually with Firefox.

> Here is the log:
>
> BusyBox v1.01 (Debian 3:1.01-4.osso12) Built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
> /home/user # apt-get install e2fsprogs
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
>    e2fslibs libblkid1 libcomerr2 libss2 libuuid1
> Suggested packages:
>    gpart parted e2fsck-static
>    e2fslibs e2fsprogs libblkid1 libcomerr2 libss2 libuuid1
> 0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.Need to
> get 742kB of archives.
> After unpacking 2023kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>    e2fslibs libblkid1 libcomerr2 libss2 libuuid1 e2fsprogs
> Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
> Err http://repository.maemo.org gregale/free e2fslibs 1.37-2sarge1
>    Temporary failure resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Err http://repository.maemo.org gregale/free libblkid1 1.37-2sarge1
>    Temporary failure resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Err http://repository.maemo.org gregale/free libcomerr2 1.37-2sarge1
>    Temporary failure resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Err http://repository.maemo.org gregale/free libss2 1.37-2sarge1
>    Temporary failure resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Err http://repository.maemo.org gregale/free libuuid1 1.37-2sarge1
>    Temporary failure resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Err http://repository.maemo.org gregale/free e2fsprogs 1.37-2sarge1
>    Temporary failure resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo2.2/free/e/
> e2fsprogs/e2fslibs_1.37-2sarge1_armel.deb  Temporary failure
> resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo2.2/free/e/
> e2fsprogs/libblkid1_1.37-2sarge1_armel.deb  Temporary failure
> resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo2.2/free/e/
> e2fsprogs/libcomerr2_1.37-2sarge1_armel.deb  Temporary failure
> resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo2.2/free/e/
> e2fsprogs/libss2_1.37-2sarge1_armel.deb  Temporary failure resolving
> 'repository.maemo.org'
> Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo2.2/free/e/
> e2fsprogs/libuuid1_1.37-2sarge1_armel.deb  Temporary failure
> resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo2.2/free/e/
> e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs_1.37-2sarge1_armel.deb  Temporary failure
> resolving 'repository.maemo.org'
> E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try
> with --fix-missing?
> /home/user #

"Temporary failure resolving" refers to dns resolution, as far as I
know. That means it can't determine the IP address for
repository.maemo.org. Are you using a proxy? I don't think the proxy
settings translate over to the xterm. Other causes for this are your
ISP's DNS server is was broken, repository.maemo.org was broken, or
you weren't connected to your access point when you attempted this.

Try enabling Red Pill mode[1] and installing through the Application
manager. Red Pill will allow e2fsprogs and other packages to display.
The Application manager should work fine through a proxy.

[1]http://hildon-app-mgr.garage.maemo.org/redpill.html

--Paul