Newbie asks what is the key to repository access?

On 7/26/07, D. L. Fuller <dlfuller at clientandfuller.com> wrote:
> This is an update to my message from yesterday.  And it is somewhat
> for information to others at the same point on the learning curve.

If this is on the same topic as yesterday's post, it's best to reply
to yesterdays post so that it stays in the same thread. Many of us use
e-mailers that support threading.
> First, the role of repositories was not clear to me before.  In
> particular, the need to enter the appropriate repositories into the
> Application Manager even if using apt-get or a green "click to
> install" script in the Software Catalog.

If the "Click to Install" script was made properly, you should not
need to add any repositories. The "Click to Install" script is a short
script that automatically adds necessary repositories and installs the
appropriate packages from those repositories. If the "Click to
Install" script for a package does not work, please inform the
developer. This is a mistake on their part and really must be
resolved.

> These pages helped:
>
> maemo.org > Community > Application Catalog > FAQ > What is a
> repository?
> http://maemo.org/community/wiki/applicationrepositories/
>
> maemo.org > Community > Wiki > ApplicationRepositories
> http://maemo.org/community/wiki/ApplicationRepositories
>
> maemo.org > Community > Wiki > CodeNames
> http://maemo.org/community/wiki/codenames/
>
> After adding repositories I can now easily install those applications
> that are listed in the Application Manager.
>
> But second, the relationship between a repository address provided in
> a HowTo, the actual location of the repository, and the real location
> of files still eludes me.
>
> Like the e2fsprogs package I referred to yesterday.

Let's use that program as an example.  Note that this information is
completely to satisfy your curiosity and not at all necessary for
installing programs as all of it is handled by the apt libraries. It
can prove, however, occasionally useful.

You can also look to Debian administration guides and help files as
Maemo and IT OS use the Debian's apt package manager.

The line you'd add to /etc/apt/sources.list is: deb
http://repository.maemo.org/ bora free non-free
"deb" means this line is for binary packages, and not source code.
The URL is the base URL, "bora" is the distribution and "free" and
"non-free" are the components. Fully expanded, one would look in both:
http://repository.maemo.org/dists/bora/free/  and
http://repository.maemo.org/dists/bora/non-free/

Inside each of these locations you'll find the architectures. The N800
uses the armel architecture, so browse into binary-armel. Now you'll
see a Packages and a Packages.gz file. On some repositories, you'll
also see the *.deb files here.

Packages can be opened with a text editor, and Packages.gz is the
gzipped version of Packages for faster download. Opening the Packages
file you'll see a text listing of all armel packages available in the
bora/free component of this repository. In each listing is the
dependencies and conflicts, as well as the relative URL to the actual
*.deb package file. In the case of e2fsprogs, the url is
"./pool/maemo/ossw/e/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs_1.35-4_arm.deb"

Therefore, someone looking for just the e2fsprogs deb file would goto:
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/bora/free/binary/e2fsprogs_1.37-2sarge1_armel.deb

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Cheers,
--Paul