Newbie asks what is the key to repository access?

This is an update to my message from yesterday.  And it is somewhat
for information to others at the same point on the learning curve.

First, the role of repositories was not clear to me before.  In
particular, the need to enter the appropriate repositories into the
Application Manager even if using apt-get or a green "click to
install" script in the Software Catalog.

These pages helped:

maemo.org > Community > Application Catalog > FAQ > What is a
repository?
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/applicationrepositories/

maemo.org > Community > Wiki > ApplicationRepositories
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/ApplicationRepositories

maemo.org > Community > Wiki > CodeNames
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/codenames/

After adding repositories I can now easily install those applications
that are listed in the Application Manager.

But second, the relationship between a repository address provided in
a HowTo, the actual location of the repository, and the real location
of files still eludes me.

Like the e2fsprogs package I referred to yesterday.