my two big fustrations with the N800

Alan Williamson wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> I have no use for those who insist we shouldn't ask for things because
>> it's an "internet tablet".
>> The N800 is a very capable device that could do a lot more if certain
>> people would just get over that "internet tablet" speed bump.
>>

> Well said that man!
>
> I for one, would like to see the N800 get proper celluar phone
> capabilities.  The new Blackberry that is about to be released, is
> coming with WiFi built in, including a whole host of other utilties.
> Okay so its not a Linux box, but it is a very hearty Java box and one
> can extend the bejesus out of it that way.

While that would be in someways a nice improvement, it would require a
significant hardware change.  However, one thing I've noticed when
talking to Blackberry users, is the poor audio quality.  If cell phone
capability ever gets added to the N800 successor, I hope they pay
attention to audio quality.

> So, with the likes OpenMoko, iPhone and Blackberry champing at the
> heels, its time for the N800 to evolve and add that last missing piece
> in terms of hardware, and then let the community provide the software.
>
> The N800 is SO CLOSE to being the only device i carry around -- except
> for the phone!  Now it would appear in a few months, i am going to have
> a number of real alternatives for me to ponder.

I carry my N800, two cell phones (personal and work) and a pager, which
my employer insists on, but on which I've never received a page.  One
issue to consider when integrating the two is that function doesn't
suffer.  I'd rather have separate pocket computer and cell phone that
both perform well, than one device that does neither function well.