Some Data Backed Commentary in the midst of this week's Blather about the Iphone

On Jun 27, 2007, at 7:23 PM, Acadia Secure Networks wrote:
> (which are in fact quite user extensible, witness the software product
> portfolio available at handago) by dis-allowing the user from
> installing
> arbitrary software "apps" on it.

I don't like that aspect of it. We'll see how long it remains closed.
There isn't an API for it, though, and it does clearly have
significant differences compared to standard OS X, so opening it up
isn't straightforward.

>  I would be interested to know how long ATT is going to have
> exclusivity
> on the Iphone. If it is more than say 6 months, then that will give
> iphone competitors time to sell/design/build competing solutions to
> the
> other mobile service providers, which they, are probably already
> doing.

What will the iPhone competitors do that they aren't already trying
to do?

A browser that's desktop-class? Everybody else is updating their
browsers all the time. They want good browsers.

Email with attachments? My Nokia E70's email client requires about 5
button presses to view a photo, and then when I close the photo it
prompts me if I want to save the photo or not. No, I was just
_viewing_ it in my email.

I don't think that the iPhone does anything that the competition
hasn't been trying to do for years. I just think that it does the
things it does better than anybody else. The UI is very innovative.
We'll see what the performance is like, and what sort of issues
people find, but given the terrible state of so many smart phones on
the market today, I don't see them doing a great job improving things
even if they have good inspiration.

Personally, my two top priorities on my iPhone will be:
1. Command-line python apps so I can attach AJAX to the innards.
2. Bluetooth DUN so I can use my N800 with it.